Monday, July 25, 2011

Peter's Japanese July

I'm still alive

Kyoto Station


NABEATSU!

That's the name of the Japanese tv personality I met. He's known for counting then screaming out in a Tourette's Syndrome like manner whenever he reaches certain numbers or multiples of numbers. You'd think doing slight variations of this gimmick would get old quick, but he's still around and people seem to continue to giggle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KslVPf_Hpg

I finally have a few consistent students and classrooms. We've been understaffed in our area since I arrived to Japan, but with new trainees and employees coming each month, I'm slowly being assigned my permanent classrooms. It's a great feeling being able to recognize and remember my students names, faces, and personalities. I strive to make them laugh or have more fun each lesson. I'm glad I naturally feel that way; it makes me feel mature to realize I'm here for more than just the Yen and Japanese adventure. Although, teaching in this environment where there seem to be no taboos (from time to time) is an adventure in its own. -_- I've had more than the occasional attempt on my life by students trying to jam fingers up my butt X_X while screaming "kancho!" or punch me in the "chin chin" and, sadly, a fresher Peter fell victim to a couple of these unexpected assaults. There is much less personal space when working with students in Japan, and much more flies. Half the things I see that pass in this country would be instant law suits in America, haha..."I swear that's how we shook hands in Japan, officer ;)"

The rough copy of me profile hanging at each of my schools for parents and students to see. This version is one of the rough drafts. The final copy has translations in Japanese.
So since I last spoke to you, I was overcome by the plague. A co-worker and myself simultaneously fell to an unknown month+ long ailment. Constant cough, congestion, chest problems, headaches, and chain smoker voice. I like to say I'm over it now but TINY aspects of it linger still, although it is clearing up every week, just at tortoise like speeds. We both went to doctors for it and pretty much had the same diagnosis and mystery medicines, powders, and scorpion stinger prescriptions.

Paul and Peter...trouble
Pedo-Paul came to visit me in Japan! We had a merry frolic, though short lived. Pretty much the day after he arrived, we ventured forth to a co-workers Sayonara (going away) party in Kyoto. It was in a beer garden atop Kyoto Tower. It was sahweet. At this beer garden, which was a rooftop event, we had all you can drink beer and all you could eat buffet for a set price (30-40 dollars maybe?). It was quite a bargain considering typical bar prices and the hours/amount consumed. The place was quite crowded.

Awesome fireworks festival with Sarah. They shot fireworks that made numbers when they exploded, count down from 10 and then kaboom big show
 We karaoke'd all night long to Gaga, Blink 182, Brit Brit, Avril Lavigne, and several other painful artists. The karaoke room was huge and easily fit 20 of us. I made a few new friends and Paul got a sweet punch in the face by Japanese night life. The rest of the week I had to work, but Paul adventured out to Hiroshima, Kyushu, Nara, only to get attacked by deer and snakes...good times.

I've been so busy with work and random events. I'm scheduled to climb mount Fuji in mid-August. Other than that, I hope to have a quiet month. I want to work out and stay grounded for a bit, maybe drink less and save more...we'll see if it lasts.

Couple random things:

I saw a bird slap a 4 year old in the face...was awesome

I don't think friendship here is the same as in America...random people, although mainly girls, have met me and say "let's be friends" or want to exchange phone information after what seems like a one or two minute convo with them. I don't trust em...doesn't sit right I tell ya, doesn't sit right at all...

If life were a video game, moving to Japan gives all Americans + stat points to looks or attractiveness. I assure everyone here that I'm average, in terms of apperance, AT BEST back home. My apparently super attractive high school friends back home can vouch for it as girls flocked to them on every outing with me and simply gave me the hello or nod XD. I've had a Japanese teacher at one of my schools tell me that mothers have commented on how attractive I am. The other day I had to cover for another teacher and the Japanese teacher told me that the students were saying how much more handsome I am than the other teachers they've had :> yay point for Peter! ...shut up

No comments:

Post a Comment