Tuesday, June 28, 2011

How Peter Got His Groove

Paraiso Live Reggae Band
I've released my falcon like claws around the culture shock that once was. I am now a local, a native, forever a gaijin, yet perpetually comfortable. Routine embraces me. I get up; I go to the gym; I spit banter with Mai or Ryuuta (two personal trainers); I clean my apartment; I shop for my apartment; I do laundry; I go to work; I pay bills...does this sound familiar?

Every few nights I stop at my local watering hole: Bar Paraiso :) I was encouraged to come to a live reggae party there last Friday...how could I refuse. I met another American there, my first encounter with a non-coworker foreigner. The owner of the bar and staff had injected several rounds of alcoholic syringes into their veins. I wan invited to several outings, I listened to good music, I was offered many a tequila shot: Life is good.

Tiny car, I had to document.

Kappo and his new pad...toilet paper...
We'll get back to that, later. I went to see Kappo briefly. His pad was aight. Kappo was doing aight, I knew he would be. He'll be doing better soon once he joins a rockband. He's gonna be big...Iceman big...better get your tickets to see him at the Tokyo Dome soon...they're gonna be sold out...

We met up with Kiki, a competitive and kind of cool Chinese girl, and her friend, Chun Li. Girls are dumb...they were ok though they were ok, but I guess I wasn't...I rarely am. Country to country, one thing, or person, I will never understand is myself...the second...girls O_o. I'm told constantly in foreign countries that I'm "handsome", "attractive", "intriguing"...talk is cheap. It leads me no where. I assure them that I'm, at most, average in the States. I'm sure the fault is my own. 

The most rural shot I can take in my town...pretty imo

As any foreigner living in Japan will tell you, there is a constant void. It's hard not being able to completely speak the language, even if I am studying it as much as possible. It's hard not having a friend a phone call away. All I have to do is turn off my computer and I'm dead to the world. They won't notice for a while. It's ironic, considering I've never been so busy in my life. I'm never really bored as I'm always doing something. There's a laundry list of tasks to accomplish at any given moment. If I'm not working or doing anything work related, I'm at the gym, exercising, checking out dance and or martial arts studios, trying new food, exploring the area, shopping, socializing at a bar. I miss the days/nights when I'd chill at home and play a video game or watch a movie...not that that's impossible to do here, I just haven't had the time...I'll make time...sooner or later.

On route to the gym, I've never felt such humidity. Losing kilos each day
I'm finally comfortable calling my apartment home. It's getting cozy. After a long day of speaking English for only 4 hours, it's there waiting for me. I'm lucky to have found such cool hang outs near my place, or I'd be going mad at this point. I'm getting into really good shape :) There's a hip hop studio called Geiya Studios near my home. I stand next to the glass windows and pretend to be lost when I'm really just watching them dance and working on building the courage to walk in and ask how much lessons are and how often they meet. Maybe once my Japanese is a little better. 

Natto with eggs and noodles 

My sister told me to take it easy, get some sleep; she's the 20th person to say such a thing...I guess that makes it true so I'll bow my stubborn head and listen. I'm giving myself a 2 week break from anything crazy until Paul (bff from American) arrives. I'll show him a good time for a week and then take a long vacation. I'd like to save money from that point on anyway. Skiing won't be cheap in the winter ;). 

I bought some Japanese hair gel. My hair line is receding rapidly so I felt like trying it out while I still can.

I went on a date tonight. That's all I'll say... XD. Communication is so important to me, as is honesty. I'm glad I've found a handful of people (native Japanese) that I can actually converse with. We are good practice for each other. My health still sucks, but I'd rather be here doing battle with it, than in American. I'm still figuring out who my friends really are. Being here puts things in perspective. I'm starting to realize what people I meet expect or want, and what I expect or want. The people I meet here...it's hard to tell if they truly desire friendship. I don't like games but I'm forced to play. It's okay. I'm experienced at this point and everything is going to be just fine. As another wanderer put it "Sometimes it only takes a 2am bike ride to realize how truly happy I am here" ~



No comments:

Post a Comment